When are family law mediation services important? If both parties cannot reach a fair and reasonable settlement, mediation is important. Divorce is very high on the list of life’s most stressful events. It moves up even higher on the list when it involves children of any age. When children enter the equation, both parties have to consider more than just reaching a divorce settlement; they have to carefully consider their children and what is best for them. That is where family law mediation services help both parties, and especially makes the process easier for the children.
As each party comes to an understanding that they will still have some form of a relationship between them post-divorce, mediation services prove crucial in helping them work through the process. There will be birthdays, school activities, graduations, weddings, grandchildren, and other life events and activities that will require civil communication and behavior. Having guidelines for behaviors and responsibilities with the help of mediation services means there is less stress for all parties. Less stress is, of course, better for the children. Even the parents will admit moving forward is easier with mediation services.
The Mediation Process
No divorce, especially if it involves children, has to involve intense disputes. If fact, often those obtaining a divorce have very little in the way of healthy and productive communication, which is where family mediation enters the picture. Family mediation is a process, not necessarily an event. If you need to know how the mediation process is going to go, here are some things to expect:
- Negotiations will take place with help from a third party mediator.
- You meet in an environment where you can feel comfortable and more at ease in each other’s presence.
- You will have the ability to express your opinions, views, and desires for creating a plan that would be good for you, your future plans, as well as your children and their futures.
- There will be no stressful, hard-bargaining tactics used, nor will there be exclusion of control. Family law mediation is founded on reducing conflict and a balance of control.
- Provisions will be made for families who are separating to completely understand roles and to utilize healthy communication methods as they map out obligations and duties.
- Through mediation, you can come to solutions and agreements that may not have been available at trial.
- The termination of a close relationship is traumatic; using a peaceful and carefully-controlled method such as family law mediation services is much easier on all parties involved. It’s possible to keep the peace while reaching resolutions.
If you are going through a divorce and think mediation might be a better option for you than settlement, call (770) 475-2521 to reach our friendly professionals at Reeder Law Firm for a complimentary, confidential consultation about family law mediation services.